[ale] Should I ground a ethernet switch?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sun Aug 11 14:28:19 EDT 2013

On 8/11/2013 04:05, Mike Harrison wrote:
>> Indeed DO use the ground rod as Jim suggests (make it as long as
>> possible) but don't use simple wire for lightning protection.  You
>> should instead use copper strap
>> (http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-cs2-25 plus the ground
>
> The strap, with a large flatish surface, is used because lightning level
> strikes travel on/near the surface of such straps. I've seen it
> described as 'plasma', but more importantly, I've seen it with my own
> eyes. It's impressive.

That's true, it's called the skin effect and happens with any high
frequency current.  Lightning is a near-perfect impulse in the time
domain (also called a delta function in signal analysis) and therefore
it contains all frequencies from DC onwards (the Fourier transform of a
delta function in the time domain becomes a constant in the frequency
domain).  The self inductance of a round wire will allow some of the low
frequency current to pass but the high frequency current will get
blocked by the wire causing it to flash over through the air (which has
less self inductance than the wire) and go somewhere unintended.  (And
plasma is the right word since HF currents can light plasmas with less
effort than DC currents.)

Inductance is frequency dependent, too, so it takes a lot of care to
ensure that the cut-off frequency of what amounts to a low-pass filter
is very high, beyond the range of the majority of the lightning energy,
thus lowering the inductance across the range of interest.  The strap
lowers this inductance by its geometry.  Very wide straps have lower
self-inducance than round wire or narrow straps.  Large antenna towers
also frequently have several straps (one per leg) to provide parallel
paths but they are spaced far enough apart to prevent mutual inductance
which would reduce the effectiveness of the straps.

> Now a lesson in grounding: At the normaal residential level, you want a
> SINGLE point of ground, typically tied to the ground/nuetral buss at the
> breaker panel. Beware of having two (or more) physically separate
> grounding points, there can and often is a small voltage difference
> between them.
> Small, but the kind of things that can cause noise in audio gear.
>
> IF you are a ham radio operator, your tower and radio shack might have
> it's own ground, and while commonly not done, it should be isolated from
> the your house. Isolation transformers are used.
>
> If you are a wireless ISP (I was), my tower and all of the associated
> electronics (Motorola Canopy gear, GPS Clock.. etc.. ) was isolated with
> it's own big flat grounding strap and ground field (collection of copper
> rods in ground, meshed together), a proper isolation transformer that
> did not pass 'ground' and a fiber optic ethernet connection. A
> configuration which later owners of the business did not understand and
> it cost them replacemment gear several times...

There are two avenues here.  Either fully separate the grounds as you
describe (full isolation, separate rods, etc.) or fully bond the
grounds.  The biggest problem is that many people don't go one way or
the other, they sit in the middle with separate ground rods but other
ground paths established leading to the ground loop noises and other
problems.  A fully and properly bonded system will not have voltage
differences from one ground rod to the other (just like your ground
field does not with respect to itself).  By example, a couple commercial
antenna installations that I've visited used the common ground method
for the antenna tower, transmitter, and shack electronics.  The antenna
was bonded to a ground field and wire mesh field (both rods and wire
mesh for a significant distance around the tower).  The transmitter,
shack power (and electronics), and feed line protectors were also
grounded to this same network of ground rods by another copper strap.
Any signal lines (phone, ethernet, etc.) leaving the area were isolated
in some form because they were headed to something that was at another
ground point.  But anything local stayed confined to the same common
ground.  There were no noise issues caused by ground loops (radiated
noise from HF electronics were a different story) and all points did not
register potential differences in ground.

There was one exception which was the marker beacons for the tower.
They ran through an isolation transformer in order to keep RF from being
picked up by the very long power feed up to the lights and injecting it
into the main power.  The conduit wasn't sufficient to keep any bleed
from the hundreds of kilowatts of RF from running back down the wire.