[ale] [OT] speaking of british (motorcycle thread) - interesting crypto info circa 1940

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sat Aug 10 16:54:42 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I may have mentioned this here before, years ago, but considering the
nsa stuff, I thought it would be interesting to share.

Last night I dug up a movie from a rarely used box I have and watched
it.  It's called Enigma.

http://www.amazon.com/Enigma-Dougray-Scott/dp/B00006FD9P

It's about the British and American cryptanalysis and code breaking
project during WWII circa 1940 - 1945.  The movie is R rated, and I
could do without the parts that make it so.  However, the other core
content of the movie is fascinating, and is based on truth.  I am not a
history buff, but I do like this movie.

After watching the movie, I read about 29 pages from the following
wikipedia articles about Bletchly Park and Bombes.  Yes that last thing
is spelled correctly, as I will explain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bletchly_Park
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombe

The articles state that the efforts of the code breakers in Britain and
the US reduced the length of the war by 2 - 4 years and that the outcome
of the war without their efforts would have been in question.  A caption
in the movie says these endeavors saved millions of lives.  None of this
was disclosed to the public until the 1970's.

The main concern (relevant to this topic) of the British and later the
US was the German Enigma machine.  This is a brilliant little piece of
engineering.  It had an alphanumeric keyboard, a series of movable and
rotatable rotors, and a plug board where wires could be attached in
various combinations.  The operator would type a plaintext letter on the
keyboard, and a corresponding ciphertext letter would light up on a lamp
board.  That ciphertext would be transmitted by U-Boats, etc. by
radiotelegraph.  Gears inside would rotate the rotors, so, the next time
you pressed the same plaintext letter, you would get a different
ciphertext letter.

Even though the allies had some captured enigma machines or clones of
them, unless the rotor sequence, rotor position, and plug board wires
were set up properly, they would not be able to decrypt the enemy's
messages.  The 4 rotor Enigma machine had 18x10^19 different ways of
being set up.  If my math is right, that's more than the permutations of
a 66 bit binary key.  Decrypting the German U-Boat signals was critical
to protect convoys of allied ships from being sunk by the U-Boats.  This
was a VERY sophisticated cipher scheme for it's time.  There are
comments in the articles to the effect that, if the system had been
properly used, it would have probably been unbreakable.

Alan Turing, sometimes known as the father of computer science, helped
the British develop the bombe machines, which were 1 - 2 TON
electromechanical monsters which replicated the function of 2 or more
enigma machines, with large numbers of rotating drums (or later relays),
but which could be driven at high speed by motors.  If the British or
American cryptanalysts could get a crib, a piece of known plaintext with
a matching piece of known ciphertext, like a weather report where the
format and data was known, they could use that as a baseline to set up
the bombe.  Using the known data, the bombe machines would try various
possible combinations of enigma setup sequences at high speed until a
possible option was found that could possibly decipher the other
ciphertext messages for which there was no crib.  The cryptanalysts
would further analyze this data, and eventually select a few possible
setup sequences.   Those would be tested by trying to decrypt the German
communications.  If the result came out German, then the allies could
read the German comm traffic FOR A DAY OR TWO.  The next day, they had
to figure out the code again.  This went on for years, and the allies
eventually decrypted thousands of German messages.  At one point in
time, there were 12,000 employees at Bletchly Park.

So, you might say the Bitish and American code breakers saved our
collective butts.

There is a simplified description of of how all this works, with
examples, in the articles.  Now, I've never claimed to be a math
wizard.  But, this stuff, even from 1940, makes my eyes cross.  I'm glad
someone understands it, and I'm sure modern crypto systems are much more
complex.

Anyway, hats off to the cryptographers for what they do, WHEN it's in
the best interest of society.

I just thought you all would find this interesting, as I did, even
though history is not usually my thing.

Sincerely,

Ron