[ale] encrypted email services shutting down

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri Aug 9 14:21:50 EDT 2013

For the last 3 yrs, I've considered setting up a service that provided TNO
encryption messaging/storage.  From the storage side, we didn't want to any
access to anyone's data from a liability perspective.  From a data dedup
perspective, we wanted to see everything to save total storage needed.

For messaging - the though that any government would demand access and wouldn't
believe we have none was also a consideration. If our servers didn't take an
entire rack inside each DC location, well, the FBI has been known to grab the
entire rack and screw the other 200 companies in those VMs completely for over a
year. That wasn't something we wanted, so that business idea fell off the cliff too.

In no way would be violate US laws, but we would insist on legal documents
before providing access. OTOH, the DC guys probably wouldn't ask any company
being hosted there and would comply quicker than anyone here would like to
warrant-less access.

It is a very sad day when legal businesses have to consider illegal actions
clearly against the 4th amendment of the constitution in their business plans.

A sad day ... indeed.