[ale] encrypted email services shutting down

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Aug 9 13:08:15 EDT 2013

This is a big concern to me from the point of view of the fundamental foundations of our nation.

Before going on, I'll acknowledge that there ARE evil people that want to destroy us, our society, our culture, our property, and our way of life.  They're smart, and they have terrible technologies that can obliterate humans and property on a large scale.  The threat is real, and it's getting worse.  I've even read things about phenomenal super weapons based on tesla technology that make nukes look like toys.  I believe those are real too.  (Trying to prove that last statement is beyond the scope of this message or this list.)

I was discussing this at lunch with my wife.  In our society, we've always had the right to have a private secret conversation in a room, on the phone, or by sending a postal letter.  HOWEVER, the law enforcement authorities had the right to get a warrant and, if they could prove probable cause of criminal activity, snoop on those communications.  We've accepted that balance privacy and surveillance.

Things are different now.  Even IF you still have the right to that private communications, the possibility exists, due to the technology, that law enforcement authorities could have probable cause about someone, get a warrant, and not be able to tap the communications.  So, apparently, they tap everything and bully anyone that is providing such technology.

I get the dilemma, although I doubt anyone who's not a spook can understand the lengths they go to in order to stop those who would wish to kill us.

However, when I read the letter from the founder of Lavabit, my overwhelming feeling is that this is just WRONG.  The government, under the guise of national security, has forced him to abandon a decade of work trying to provide state of the art technology and privacy for customers.

I'll freely admit that I don't know the answer, to paraphrase a cliche, I think I know what's not it when I see it.

Sincerely,

Ron