[ale] AARG Firefox devs delete several important UI options

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Aug 8 22:33:49 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I finally figured this out.

If you're copying a firefox profile to another pc with xmarks involved,
you must delete xmarks from the profile on the destination pc and
reinstall it from scratch.  This is the only way each machine will have
a unique machine id and name.

Here's how:

01) Upgrade firefox on the first pc to v 23, for example.
02) Set up firefox on the 1st pc the way you like it.
03) Go to about:config and search for the string   machineid
04) This should be an xmarks config line.  Write down the string for the
1st pc.
05) Shut down firefox and copy the profile folder contents (not the
cache folder) to a memory stick.
06) Open a text editor in the same os that firefox came from and edit
the prefs.js ON THE MEMORY STICK.
07) Delete all lines that contain user_pref("extensions.xmarks ...
08) Save the file back to the memory stick, replacing the original.
09) On the 2nd (destination) pc, before upgrading firefox, if you can,
open the xmarks settings and note the exact name for this computer under
the sync tab.
10) Close the xmarks settings.
11) Remove the xmarks extension and restart.
12) Upgrade firefox on the 2nd pc to v 23, for example.  Shut firefox down.
13) Find the profile folder for firefox (not the cache folder) on the
2nd pc.
14) Copy the contents of the memory stick to the profile folder.
15) Start firefox.
16) Install the xmarks extension and configure it from scratch.  In the
settings screen, in the sync tab, enter the same name for this computer
as the 2nd pc had before.
17) Go to about:config and search for the string   machineid
18) This should be an xmarks config line.  Write down the string for the
2nd pc.
19) Verify that the string from the 2nd pc is different from the string
for the first.

Firefox should now be configured identically on both pc's with the
exception that each install of xmarks is unique where it needs to be.

Something similar may apply to firefox sync, but I don't know.

Sincerely,

Ron