[ale] AARG Firefox devs delete several important UI options

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Aug 8 18:30:14 EDT 2013

Hi all,

WARNING, problems with xmarks after copying ff profile.

I tried the copying the firefox profile trick.  It generally worked
except it caused problems for xmarks, which synchronizes bookmarks,
passwords, and open tabs between computers, if you want it to.  The
problem is that the xmarks extension has both a pc name, which you
provide, and a machine id, which it creates when you install.  On the
second computer that you copied the profile to, this name and id will be
the same as the first computer, and this can screw up xmarks sync on
both machines.  I almost completely lost 70 open tab urls that I had
saved when I deleted the list for one machine and it deleted it for both
machines.  Fortunately, I still have the tab list stored for one more
machine which hasn't received the upgrade yet.

I am looking into how to wipe out the xmarks profile on the machine with
the copied profile.  I haven't found out how.  Uninstalling the
extension does not remove the xmarks entries from the about:config
database, and the ui does not provide any way to delete lines in the
database.

Thus far, the firefox on the machine I copied the profile to, in and of
iteself, is working ok.  However, my xmarks is screwed up and cannot be
used.  I have to figure out a solution to this before I can continue
using firefox to any great extent on the machine.

If anyone knows how to COMPLETELY remove all "xmarks" entries from the
about:config database, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 8/8/2013 2:10 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I was aware of sync, but didn't know it synced profile data.  That's good to know.  However, I was using it to sync bookmarks in the past and they got munged all up.  I had to restore them from other machines.  Ever since, I use only xmarks and pay for their xmarks + lastpass pro service for $ 24 / year or so.  But, it's good to know sync can be used for other purposes.
>
> Hi Sparr, Scott C, JD, Michael T,
>
> Thanks for info relating to copying the firefox profile from one pc to another.  I'll probably try that, at least within each os.  For linux, one person mentioned ~/.firefox and one mentioned ~/.mozilla.  Does anyone know which it is, or should I copy both.  I use Eudora OSE for email, which is based on thunderbird.  I specifically don't want to copy the thunderbird profile data as each machine is slightly different.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

-snip-