[ale] Why is RAM is so expensive?!? Anyone know an inexpensive source?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 24 10:53:10 EDT 2013

Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> writes:

> It's cheaper for power and RAM to get a new system than mess with an older
> system now. Unless you are hell-bent on spending as little as possible NOW and
> will to pay through the nose later at least.
>
> DDR3 Registered ECC is less per GB than DDR2 unbuffered. The flops per watt of
> new systems is quite an improvement over stuff just 5 years old. 8, 12, 16
> cores in the same power envelope as 2 from 6 years ago.

Yeah, I was able to find 16GB sticks of DDR3-1600 ECC Registered RAM at
$133/stick.  Alas, the cost of a new mobo, cpu, and ram to replace my
old Supermicro would still be higher than the cost of new DDR2 RAM.  I
guess I'll just live with 16G for now..

When I do get the finances to build my NAS server I'll at least be able
to put in ~64G of RAM relatively cheaply.  (The mobo I plan to get can
hold up to 256G).

-derek