[ale] OT... Overheard at a CIRT meeting... WiFi...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Oct 31 12:11:53 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-31 at 11:43 -0400, Boris Borisov wrote:
> 600 devices per day ?
> How big is that thing?

We met at Johnson Ferry Baptist Church.  It's jaw dropping huge.

3 stories plus a terrace level.  Huge sanctuary (which is acousticly HOT
and a nightmare for an AV dude like me - echos and resonances out the
whazzo) and a chapel that would put a lot of sanctuaries to shame.  Plus
a 2 story "activity room" the size of a significant gym that converts to
a second sanctuary with pull out seating ala gym bleachers (but for
pews) and covers the floor.  They have bidirectional audio/video between
the two sanctuaries so a service in one is broadcast to the other and
they alternate in their 3 services on Sunday mornings.

They have gigabit fiber between it and an office complex on the other
side of Johnson Ferry where they have additional offices and have
generator backups for their servers (they self host their own website).
The IT dudes that handle that behemoth have all my respect...  It
boggles my mind.

Mike