[ale] OT... Overheard at a CIRT meeting... WiFi...

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Oct 31 12:10:05 EDT 2012

Several years ago I worked at a Fortune 100 company.   Every time we had a UNIX Team meeting there was a race to see who could get the 2 or 3 physical RJ45 ports for Ethernet in the room.   I asked why they didn't use Wi-Fi and was told that they in fact had it but it was very problematic in the room.   You could connect but it would drop you off quickly.

I called the team that supported Wi-Fi who told me they'd purposefully installed the Wi-Fi with weak transmission on the theory that they'd hear from users if it wasn't working properly so they could tweak it to the point that it was strong enough for its location but not so strong it was going to be used all over the building.   In the 2 years since they'd done the installs I was the first person to call.   They resolved the issue with that room in 1/2 hour.