[ale] Ext4 kernel bug

Hessel, Matt matt.hessel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 08:49:04 EDT 2012

FYI: fix has just been posted to the upstream mainline with specific
info on the cause.  As long as you are not using the journal_checksum or
journal_async_commit mount options, you are not affected..

commit 8c673cbc7682b3f2862fe42f8069cac20c09e160
Merge: 4476c0e ffb5387
Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org>
Date:   Tue Oct 30 15:35:16 2012 -0700

     Merge tag 'ext4_for_linus_stable' of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4

     Pull ext4 bugfix from Ted Ts'o:
      "This fixes the root cause of the ext4 data corruption bug which
raised
       a ruckus on LWN, Phoronix, and Slashdot.

       This bug only showed up when non-standard mount options
       (journal_async_commit and/or journal_checksum) were enabled, and when
       the file system was not cleanly unmounted, but the root cause was the
       inode bitmap modifications was not being properly journaled.

       This could potentially lead to minor file system corruptions (pass 5
       complaints with the inode allocation bitmap) after an unclean
shutdown
       under the wrong/unlucky workloads, but it turned into major
failure if
       the journal_checksum and/or jouaral_async_commit was enabled."

     * tag 'ext4_for_linus_stable' of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4:
       ext4: fix unjournaled inode bitmap modification