[ale] Ext4 kernel bug

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Thu Oct 25 10:07:19 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:49:20 pm Ed Cashin wrote:
>> I don't know, but I was interested by your question and found out that
>> when I create a new ext4 filesystem and grep for "Journal" in the
>> dumpe2fs output, it says Journal sequence 1.
>
> [rest snipped for brevity]
>
> Ed,
>
> Your detailed, technical answer is useful, but leaves me with another
>
> question:
>
> I've got to update this FC13 box. Would it be better to skip FC 14 and
> install FC 15 instead with btrfs instead of ext4?
> Or am I better off staying with ext4 as this is a [relatively] lightly used
> desktop box -- ie no database or other work requiring many small changes
> to files on two 360 GB drives in a RAID 1?

I'm afraid my answer was more geared towards helping you do
investigations (if you're inclined) or get more detailed info from the
ext4 developers.

As far as what to do next, Jim Kinney has some good practical advice.
I believe he is saying that if your FC13 box doesn't have a kernel
that has this bug, then don't worry about running FC13 for fear of
data corruption... worry because it's old.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/