[ale] My Raspberry π is here

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Oct 26 13:28:27 EDT 2012

Here are some good sources for various sensors.  Not specific to pi.

https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/23
http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/tabid/86/Default.aspx

Ron

"Michael H. Warfield" <mhw at wittsend.com> wrote:

>Following on (and stoking the fires of) the discussion from several
>days
>ago...
>
>On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 15:51 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

>> > Doh!  What am I thinking.  You don't even need to plug the keyboard
>and
>> > mouse into RP.  You don't want his (the real) keyboard doing that.
>You
>> > just want the RP acting as an additional keyboard and mouse.  You
>just
>> > need that host mode KM emulation.
>
>> It's also NOT host mode.  It would be client mode.  But you still
>need
>> to do the emulation and it looks like it has been done (with some
>> hardware though I have to look at it closer to understand why).
>

>http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/07/13/nehebkau-laptop-controlled-keyboard-and-mouse-emulator/
>
>> Might also be possible using the bit bangers on the GPIO but that's
>way
>> more complex than what I want to contemplate.
>
>As discussed at Melton's after the LAST meeting, this is not possible
>with the USB on the Model B's (I have a shipping date for my 2 now!
>Yea!).  Possible with the big-banger ports but not really worth the
>effort.  Not possible with the built-in USB due to the hub on the
>board.
>But it IS possible with the Raspberry Pi Ala Mode (Raspberry Pi married
>with an Arduino shield).  That's looking real tempting given all the
>shields available for relays and ADCs and all.
>
>I'm seeing even more stuff that would be appropriate for my other straw
>man hobby project, the home power line monitor / analyzer (PLA).
>Looking for stuff for the Ardunio, I stumbled onto some current pickups
>that are dirt cheap.  Would require 3 for a home unit (Hot 1, Hot 2,
>and
>Neutral)...  Still...  I'd probably buy a couple of extras just for
>clamping onto suspect circuits out of the breaker panel...
>
>http://www.amazon.com/013-030-Output-Non-invasive-Current-Transformer/dp/B005CTWE8A/ref=pd_sim_pc_80
>
>That one is only good to 30A.  For the mains (I have 200A mains) I may
>need something more like this for hot 1&2...
>
>http://www.amazon.com/0-01-120A-0-5M-Split-core-Current-Transformer/dp/B005FIFT4E/ref=pd_cp_e_0
>
>Those are rated to 120A which would probably suffice for a 200A panel.
>
>OTOH...  These babies will handle 5A to 200A (full capacity) and output
>to .3VAC which is perfect for an audio input...
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Gino-5A-200A-Current-Inductor-Transformer/dp/B006Z4J9QQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3
>
>Let's see...  2 of the 200A and 3 or 4 of the 30A.  This could work...
>
>With relay boards, now I'm thinking of irrigation systems.  My yard and
>deck are hooked for multiple circuits of drip irrigation and I would
>love to replace the shitty timers with a device like this.
>
>That's now three projects (IP KVM, PLA, and relay controller) I want to
> [...]

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com