[ale] My Raspberry π is here

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Oct 26 10:44:53 EDT 2012

Following on (and stoking the fires of) the discussion from several days
ago...

On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 15:51 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> > Doh!  What am I thinking.  You don't even need to plug the keyboard and
> > mouse into RP.  You don't want his (the real) keyboard doing that.  You
> > just want the RP acting as an additional keyboard and mouse.  You just
> > need that host mode KM emulation.

> It's also NOT host mode.  It would be client mode.  But you still need
> to do the emulation and it looks like it has been done (with some
> hardware though I have to look at it closer to understand why).

> http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/07/13/nehebkau-laptop-controlled-keyboard-and-mouse-emulator/

> Might also be possible using the bit bangers on the GPIO but that's way
> more complex than what I want to contemplate.

As discussed at Melton's after the LAST meeting, this is not possible
with the USB on the Model B's (I have a shipping date for my 2 now!
Yea!).  Possible with the big-banger ports but not really worth the
effort.  Not possible with the built-in USB due to the hub on the board.
But it IS possible with the Raspberry Pi Ala Mode (Raspberry Pi married
with an Arduino shield).  That's looking real tempting given all the
shields available for relays and ADCs and all.

I'm seeing even more stuff that would be appropriate for my other straw
man hobby project, the home power line monitor / analyzer (PLA).
Looking for stuff for the Ardunio, I stumbled onto some current pickups
that are dirt cheap.  Would require 3 for a home unit (Hot 1, Hot 2, and
Neutral)...  Still...  I'd probably buy a couple of extras just for
clamping onto suspect circuits out of the breaker panel...

http://www.amazon.com/013-030-Output-Non-invasive-Current-Transformer/dp/B005CTWE8A/ref=pd_sim_pc_80

That one is only good to 30A.  For the mains (I have 200A mains) I may
need something more like this for hot 1&2...

http://www.amazon.com/0-01-120A-0-5M-Split-core-Current-Transformer/dp/B005FIFT4E/ref=pd_cp_e_0

Those are rated to 120A which would probably suffice for a 200A panel.

OTOH...  These babies will handle 5A to 200A (full capacity) and output
to .3VAC which is perfect for an audio input...

http://www.amazon.com/Gino-5A-200A-Current-Inductor-Transformer/dp/B006Z4J9QQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3

Let's see...  2 of the 200A and 3 or 4 of the 30A.  This could work...

With relay boards, now I'm thinking of irrigation systems.  My yard and
deck are hooked for multiple circuits of drip irrigation and I would
love to replace the shitty timers with a device like this.

That's now three projects (IP KVM, PLA, and relay controller) I want to
explore and play with now...

Regards,
Mike