[ale] OT help answering machine keeps failing - faulty power supply?

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Fri Oct 19 00:52:54 EDT 2012

On 10/18/2012 04:41 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> This should have been a very orderly power up
> procedure.  I'm not sure about the 3rd failure.  I suspect that it was
> when I used a table saw to cut a piece of wood.  The answering machine
> was, again, attached to the UPS.  For a second or so when the saw motor
> is turned on, the lights dim substantially.  Later, I found that the
> answering machine had again died.

UPS filters power through the battery and is thus won't pass through
surges that happen on the power line---unless you're getting really,
REALLY crappy UPS units.

Ergo, your problem is most likely the phone line, but I couldn't tell
you without hard data about the line itself.  Keeping in mind that
telephone lines use both AC and DC power, this seems the most plausible.

Replace it with a phone system running Linux.  :-)  After all, then you
get the most important feature of all: unlimited voicemail without
having Google do it for you!

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”