[ale] OT help answering machine keeps failing - faulty power supply?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Oct 18 16:41:05 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

I need help with a problem where my answering machine keeps failing.  I
have the ATT 1740 digital answering machine.  I have a couple of them.
I really like the features and don't particularly want to change to a
different model.  However, it appears that they have a design defect in
the power supply and they keep failing when I have even very minimal
power glitches.  I've had 3 fail, and just finished getting the last one
swapped out.  The 1st failure was apparently when lightning caused my
power to drop off for about 1/2 a second, very brief.  The answering
machine had a heart attack and froze up. It was plugged into a surge
protector.  Replaced it.  The 2nd time, the machine was actually plugged
into an APC UPS.  I also have some routers plugged into the UPS.   I
pushed the button on the UPS to turn everything off, waited 10 seconds,
then pushed the button on the UPS to turn everything back on.  The
answering machine died.  This should have been a very orderly power up
procedure.  I'm not sure about the 3rd failure.  I suspect that it was
when I used a table saw to cut a piece of wood.  The answering machine
was, again, attached to the UPS.  For a second or so when the saw motor
is turned on, the lights dim substantially.  Later, I found that the
answering machine had again died.

None of my other equipment has this type of problem.  The answering
machine is powered by a tiny 6 VAC 350 ma wall transformer, so they must
be rectifying the power inside the unit.  I can only guess at the cause
of the problem.  I suspect that the transformer is passing through or
generating high frequency high voltage transients when the power is
first applied; and that there are insufficient dc filtering capacitors
inside the unit.  So, perhaps, circuitry that expects 5 VDC at power up
gets 10 VDC, or whatever, and has a heart attack.

I want to protect the power circuit before installing this 3rd
replacement unit, but pretty much have to do it externally.  I thought
about powering it with a bigger 6 VAC transformer, which might have more
inductance and might power up more slowly and stably.  I also thought
about putting an 18V or so varistor across the power circuit, the theory
being that if the peak to peak voltage exceeds what should be coming out
of a 6 VAC transformer, it clamps it.  Note that this transformer is a 2
prong ungrounded device.  I also thought of powering it with a 6 VAC
regulated transformer, if such a thing exists.  The other thought I had
was to introduce some sort of time delay.  So, perhaps the 6 VAC
transformer activates a relay, and that relay then allows the 6 VAC to
reach the answering machine.  But, the relay couldn't trip until the
power had stabilized a bit.

I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, since the machine is only
worth $ 20.  I also don't want to open the case, as I do have an
extended warranty on one of my two remaining units.

PS, it will be hard to test any theories as I don't intend to
intentionally try to pulse the power and break another machine.
However, if a solution sounds plausible and cheap, I'll probably try it.

Any ideas?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)