[ale] My Raspberry π is here

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Oct 17 11:20:09 EDT 2012

Rich Faulkner <rfaulkner at tux86.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 10:11 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

>the
>> >
>> > They are wonderful little things.
>> >
>> > I ordered 5 after last month's meeting so that we could play with
>them,
>> > and I am already looking at putting them to use to solve some
>> > long-standing problems that these are just absolutely perfect for
>solving.
>>
>> Okay, what long-standing problems are they absolutely perfect for
>solving?
>

>1.  Death
>2.  Taxes
>3.  A better mouse trap
>4.  Cure for the common cold
>5.  A way to hack your car's on-board computer to reset codes
>discretely
>so that your P.O.S. can pass emissions and avoid paying hundreds of
>dollars in repair charges!!!
>
>Can you tell what I did yesterday?
>
>...and I still haven't done anything with my RPi....no time lately for
>fun....guess that makes me a "dull boy".
>
>RinL

OK.  How did anyone put that pi symbol in the subject line anyway?  I had to post this since you guys are wondering what you can do with a pi.  Go to this link:

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/DigitalEditions/Default.aspx

Download the latest Computer Power User magazine and turn to page 7.  If you have 64 pi's you can build a super computer, like they did at the University of Southhampton.  It has 64 processors, 1 TB of memory, and cost $ 4000.

On a smaller scale, the idea of smart home automation terminals near each doorway and smart data logging devices and robotic controllers appeals to me.

Sincerely,

Ron