[ale] OT if you must use windows, upgrade to windows 7, not 8, within a year

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 13:35:58 EDT 2012

yes. Touchscreens are for "content consumers". Content producers would go
insane if their only input was a touchscreen.

Imagine the process at the u-checkout line expanded to all of IT. "Pick
problem by color, category or sku"...

If it's made so idiots can use it, there's no incentive for the idiots to
change.

Hmm. Maybe a Morse-code key on the cell phones for text input.....

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Jay Lozier <jslozier at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/15/2012 11:33 AM, Ben Coleman wrote:
> > On 10/14/2012 1:15 PM, Jay Lozier wrote:
> >> The blogger commented that Win8 interaction is medical disaster waiting
> >> to happen for users of laptops and desktops because of repetitive motion
> >> injuries caused by constantly needing to touch the screen.
> > So, sounds like Win8 represents the return of Gorilla arm.
> >
> > Ben
> Before seeing a doctor about your shoulder injury.  My take is when
> creating content, entering data, writing documents, etc. is best done
> with the traditional keyboard/mouse interface not a touchscreen. I
> believe Xerox PARC carefully studied human/computer interactions and
> concluded that the keyboard/mouse interface used today is the best
> overall in most typing/editing intensive situations. That research is
> from the 70's.
>
> Touch screens seem to be very good for cellphones, smart phones, and
> tablets which only require very sporadic and limited typing (or are
> intended for such use).
>
> --
> Jay Lozier
> jslozier at gmail.com