[ale] OT if you must use windows, upgrade to windows 7, not 8, within a year

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 12:32:52 EDT 2012

On 10/15/2012 11:33 AM, Ben Coleman wrote:
> On 10/14/2012 1:15 PM, Jay Lozier wrote:
>> The blogger commented that Win8 interaction is medical disaster waiting
>> to happen for users of laptops and desktops because of repetitive motion
>> injuries caused by constantly needing to touch the screen.
> So, sounds like Win8 represents the return of Gorilla arm.
>
> Ben
Before seeing a doctor about your shoulder injury.  My take is when
creating content, entering data, writing documents, etc. is best done
with the traditional keyboard/mouse interface not a touchscreen. I
believe Xerox PARC carefully studied human/computer interactions and
concluded that the keyboard/mouse interface used today is the best
overall in most typing/editing intensive situations. That research is
from the 70's.

Touch screens seem to be very good for cellphones, smart phones, and
tablets which only require very sporadic and limited typing (or are
intended for such use).

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com