No subject

Tue Nov 13 08:16:38 EST 2012

of Windows people have switch to Mac and been productive is a short<br>
learning cycle. That suggests a new desktop _can_ be learned.<br>
But admins are another group altogether.<br>
How things are done behind the scenes is really, REALLY different<br>
between windows, Linux and Mac (and Solaris/Oracle, and between Linux<br>
variants, etc). The tools that exist to support admins for large scale<br>
deployments are radically different between the systems as the<br>
philosophy is extremely radically different between the systems.<br>
So I would put forward that the wholesale adoption of Linux will<br>
depend on the retraining of the existing admins so they are willing to<br>
tell upstream &quot;sure, Linux will be useful here&quot;.<br>
Ha! Then maybe the Mac admins can work somewhere other than retail! =C2=A0<=
br>
8D<br>
=C2=A0<br>
On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Lightner, Jeff<br>
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:JLightner at dsservices.com" target=3D"_blank">JLightner=
@dsservices.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
While I=E2=80=99d like to think Windows is on the way out I will say that t=
his<br>
isn=E2=80=99t the first time its demise has been predicted.=C2=A0=C2=A0 Unf=
ortunately<br>
there are way too many people (organizations especially) that are not<br>
willing to pull the plug because of the learning curve.=C2=A0=C2=A0 I know<=
br>
you=E2=80=99ll all say that Linux is easier etc=E2=80=A6 but the fact is MO=
ST users<br>
don=E2=80=99t really understand computers and making them learn ANYTHING ne=
w<br>
is quite difficult.=C2=A0=C2=A0 (If you don=E2=80=99t believe that find out=
 how long it<br>
took most organizations to get their executives off a blackberry<br>
products =E2=80=93 if they have.)<br>
=C2=A0<br>
I recall just a few years back where China and other governments were<br>
planning on making their own Linux distros but never saw much traction<br>
on that.<br>
=C2=A0<br>
It=E2=80=99s funny how things go.=C2=A0 M$=E2=80=99 stated reasoning for cr=
eating NT was to<br>
take over the UNIX market.=C2=A0 Instead they killed off Novell.=C2=A0=C2=
=A0 Linux on<br>
the other hand has made deep inroads into the former UNIX markets<br>
mainly because the admins that do one can do the other.<br>
=C2=A0<br>
=C2=A0<br>
From: <a href=3D"mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org" target=3D"_blank">ale-bounces@=
ale.org</a> [mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org" target=3D"_blank=