No subject

Tue Nov 13 08:16:38 EST 2012

I love my '99 Miata, which replaced my '93 Miata! :-)
----- Original Message -----

From: "Jay Lozier" <jslozier at gmail.com>
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:25:53 PM
Subject: Re: [ale] OT: check light diagnostic tool

Doesn't Ford have an ownership stake in Mazda?

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:14:33 -0400, Boris Borisov <bugyatl at gmail.com> wrote:

Mazda and Ford are still together. Their cars share same platform in similar class cars. Althout Mazda tends to give their cars a bit sportier nature than Ford's.

--

Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo

------=_Part_2793_883314267.1371150629282

div style=3D'font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; colo=
r: #000000'>According to <a href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda#Par=
=3D"margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;"><div><span style=3D"fo=
nt-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1953125px; backgrou=
nd-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">From 1979 to 2010, Mazda had a partnership w=
ith the&nbsp;</span><a href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Motor_Com=
pany" title=3D"Ford Motor Company" style=3D"text-decoration: none; color: r=
gb(11, 0, 128); background-image: none; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255=
); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1953125px;">Fo=
rd Motor Company</a><span style=3D"font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px=
; line-height: 19.1953125px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">, who a=
cquired a 7% stake in 1979 and by 1996, owned 33.3% of Mazda. Under the adm=
inistration of&nbsp;</span><a href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Mu=
lally" title=3D"Alan Mulally" style=3D"text-decoration: none; color: rgb(11=
, 0, 128); background-image: none; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); fo=
nt-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1953125px;">Alan Mu=
lally</a><span style=3D"font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-heig=
ht: 19.1953125px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">, Ford gradually d=
ivested its stake in Mazda from 2008 to 2010, with Ford currently holding 3=
% of Mazda stock and severing production as well as development ties.</span=
 my '93 Miata! :-)<br><hr id=3D"zwchr"><div style=3D"color:#000;font-weight=
:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,=
sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><b>From: </b>"Jay Lozier" &lt;jslozier at gmail.co=

v>On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:14:33 -0400, Boris Borisov &lt;bugyatl at gmail.com&g=
: #0000FF 2px solid; padding-left: 1ex">Mazda and Ford are still together. =
Their cars share same platform in similar class cars. Althout Mazda tends t=
o give their cars a bit sportier nature than Ford's.<br><br>On Friday, June=
 14, 2013, Scott Castaline &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:skotchman at gmail.com" targe=
t=3D"_blank">skotchman at gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
In the early to mid 90's, Mazda had a SUV I think it was called<br>&gt; Nav=
ahoe that was actually a re-branded Ford Exploder. My 2nd Mazda PU<br>
&gt; (B2300) would suddenly accelerate (sound familiar?) when I was braking=
za<br>&gt; and didn't fully realize what was happening almost hit the car i=
n<br>
&gt; front of me. Several people were having similar problems in both Ford<=
br>&gt; and Mazda. Ford quietly fixed their own labeled trucks and denied t=
hat<br>&gt; what was happening on the Mazda version had anything to do with=
 the<br>
&gt; Ford. Mazda engineers even found the bad code in the system which was<=
br>&gt; Ford and not Mazda.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Back in 93 Ford had new small c=
ar that was a sporty design I can't<br>&gt; remember the name of it, but it=
 was a fairly fast car. Mazda also had<br>
&gt; re-branded this car and had their version of it. The Mazda version had=
br>
&gt; steering wheel where the entire instrument panel would tilt so that<br=
>&gt; all gauges were visible at all times. They stopped after 2 years<br>&=
gt; though, not sure why. It seemed to work well at least in the one a<br>
3 05:25 AM, Michael Trausch wrote:<br>&gt;&gt; Seriously? I had no idea Maz=
da and ford were bedded at any point in<br>&gt;&gt; the past... Well, if th=
at's the case, have fun. Everyone I know<br>
&gt;&gt; with 90s era Rangers and derivatives have some serious issues.<br>=
&gt;&gt; Lighting problems, computer problems... Don't get me started on th=
e<br>&gt;&gt; dome light and speed sensor combo on a single circuit...<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; On Jun 12, 2013 11:17 PM, "Scott Castaline" &lt;<a hre=
f=3D"mailto:skotchman at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">skotchman at gmail.com</a><=
br>&gt;&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:skotchman at gmail.com" target=3D"_bl=
ank">skotchman at gmail.com</a>&gt;&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; You may want to check what Ford Ranger owners are expe=
riencing as<br>&gt;&gt; the B series Mazadas are actually Ford Rangers. I h=
ad 3 of them in<br>&gt;&gt; the mid 90's and there were intermittent comput=
er related problems<br>
 PM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; Good stuff there. 109k miles. No=
&gt;&gt;&gt; One thing I have noticed just over the past few days is engine=
gt;&gt;&gt; -- From my iPhone Geoffrey Myers<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; On=
 Jun 12, 2013, at 1:42 PM, Greg Clifton &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:gccfof5 at gmail=
.com" target=3D"_blank">gccfof5 at gmail.com</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:gccfof5 at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">=
gccfof5 at gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:gccf=
of5 at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">gccfof5 at gmail.com</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=
=3D"mailto:gccfof5 at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">gccfof5 at gmail.com</a>&gt;&g=
t;&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I have not seen a "check gauge" light, but for=
 a vehicle of<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; that age, I would suspect a failing senso=
r. However, it would<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; be a good idea to clean your batte=
ry terminals if you haven't<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; done that in a while. All manner of spurious computer code=
s can<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; be generated when the power level (generally due =
to marginal<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; ground connections since US cars are pretty=
 much all NEGATIVE<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; ground systems).<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I=
f that is of no help, sensors that might be suspect would be<br>&gt;&gt;&gt=
;&gt; Coolant Temp, MAF or AMP and Intake Air Temp sensor depending<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; on what type of air metering system your vehicle has. It c=
ould<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; also be an oil pressure sensor, on some cars a fai=
lure of this<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; sensor will kill the spark and cause drive=
ability &nbsp;issues. &nbsp;One<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; more that just occurred to me is the possibility of a faul=
ty<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; fuel pressure sensor (often part of the fuel pump as=
sembly in<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; the tank, which could also be failing with th=
is age vehicle,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; depending on the mileage). I wouldn't suspect the knock<br=
>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; sensors, however a look at the plugs and the spark wires<=
br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; (assuming you don't have coil on plug) might be in orde=
r.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Has you MPG changed since the light ha=
s started coming on? In<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; my experience the most common c=
auses of check engine lights<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; being illuminated are loos=
e gas cap, other vacuum leak, clogged<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; EGR pipe/valve and O2 sensor [heater] failure (roughly but=
 not<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; absolutely in that order). But none of these are "=
gauged"<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; sensors so I don't see how they could be involv=
ed in your<br>
gt;&gt; On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE)<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;=
&gt; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com" target=3D"_bl=
ank">atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com</a>&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&g=
rget=3D"_blank">atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com</a>&gt;&gt;&gt; wrote:<br=
>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; From other comments, it sounds like t=
he check gauge light<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; (never heard of that) is different from check engine, so t=
his<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; may not be relevant to you. &nbsp;For what it's wor=
th, I had an<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; intermittent check engine light on a 2002 =
toyota camry that I<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; ultimately traded. &nbsp;It went on and off for years with=
 sometimes<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; months between cycles. We managed to read a =
scan code on it<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; while it was on once and the mechanic s=
aid the catalytic<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; converter was on the verge of failure. It would do slightl=
y<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; better or worse depending on drive time, ambient cond=
itions,<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; and fuel characteristics (I assume). &nbsp;I ma=
naged to get the<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; light to go off a couple of times with a fuel additive. &n=
bsp;O2<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; sensors and mass air flow sensors can also cause=
 problems like<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; this. &nbsp;You probably already know it=
, but you cannot pass an<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; emissions test if such a light is on. &nbsp;If I remember =
correctly,<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; and what people may not know, is that an emi=
ssion test result<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; is valid for up to 1 year. &nbsp;So, =
you can get the emissions<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; tested when the li! ght is off, and then go use that month=
;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Geoffrey Myers &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:l=
ists at serioustechnology.com" target=3D"_blank">lists at serioustechnology.com</=
a><br>&gt;&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:lists at serioustechnology.com" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">lists at serioustechnology.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:lists at serioustechnology.com" =
target=3D"_blank">lists at serioustechnology.com</a><br>&gt;&gt; &lt;mailto:<a=
 href=3D"mailto:lists at serioustechnology.com" target=3D"_blank">lists at seriou=
stechnology.com</a>&gt;&gt;&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Yes, it is for a 1999 Mazda pickup=
. Really would like<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; immediate results, so don't wan=
t to wait for over night<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; shipping. Took it by autoz=
one a while back, but did not show<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; anything. Also, it<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; doesn't stay<br=
>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; on. Has been blinking on and off for a couple of mont=
t;&gt;&gt; it has been coming on more regularly, hence the inquiry.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I'll<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; check my<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&=
gt; local auto parts stores.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt=
; -- From my iPhone Geoffrey Myers<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&=
gt;&gt; On Jun 12, 2013, at 11:49 AM, neal &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:neal at mnopl=
td.com" target=3D"_blank">neal at mnopltd.com</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:neal at mnopltd.com" target=3D"_blank">n=
eal at mnopltd.com</a>&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:ne=
al at mnopltd.com" target=3D"_blank">neal at mnopltd.com</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=
=3D"mailto:neal at mnopltd.com" target=3D"_blank">neal at mnopltd.com</a>&gt;&gt;=
&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; If you need immediate resu=
lts, as noted Autozone will do<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; for free.<br>&gt=
;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Note that stock ODBC read=
ers will NOT find all<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; manufacturer<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; data, at<br>&gt;&=
gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; least for Toyota and Mercedes there is a wealth of data ODB=
C<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; cannot access - only dealer computers can. &nbsp;=
 &nbsp; In many cases<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; the DTC code is only an approximation of what is reall=
y<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; going on. &nbsp;You can experiment with crowd-sou=
rcing your DTC<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; code against what others have done<b=
r>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; to fix,<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; but, unless it's cheap to =
try, you might be better off<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; getting the dealer to =
read the real codes.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt=
;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt=
;&gt; Sent from Samsung tablet<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&=
gt;&gt;&gt; Phil Turmel &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:philip at turmel.org" target=3D"=
_blank">philip at turmel.org</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:philip at turmel.or=
g" target=3D"_blank">philip at turmel.org</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:philip at turmel.org" target=3D"_blank">=
philip at turmel.org</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:philip at turmel.org" targe=
t=3D"_blank">philip at turmel.org</a>&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; =
wrote: On 06/12/2013 09:48 AM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Looking for recommendations. Can one be purcha=
sed<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; locally?<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br=
>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I've been extremely happy with a simple "ELM-327"=
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; bluetooth dongle<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; and<br>&g=
t;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; "Torque Pro" on my android phone.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt=
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; _______________________________________________ Al=
arget=3D"_blank">Ale at ale.org</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:Ale at ale.org" =
target=3D"_blank">Ale at ale.org</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:Ale at ale.org" target=
=3D"_blank">Ale at ale.org</a><br>&gt;&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:Ale at al=
e.org" target=3D"_blank">Ale at ale.org</a>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt=
tp://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale</a> See JOBS,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&=
gt;&gt; <a href=3D"http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo" target=3D"_blank">=
----------------------------------------------------------------<br>
;&gt;&gt;&gt; _______________________________________________ Ale mailing<b=
r>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; list <a href=3D"mailto:Ale at ale.org" target=3D"_blank=
">Ale at ale.org</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:Ale at ale.org" target=3D"_blan=
k">Ale at ale.org</a>&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:Ale at ale.org" target=3D"=
_blank">Ale at ale.org</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:Ale at ale.org" target=3D"_blank">Ale at al=
e.org</a>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"http://mail.ale.org/ma=
ale</a> See JOBS, ANNOUNCE<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; and SCHOOLS lists at <a =
href=3D"http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo" target=3D"_blank">http://mail=
.ale.org/mailman/listinfo</a><br>
&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Sent from my Android Acer A500 tablet with bluetoo=
th keyboard<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; and K-9 Mail. Please excuse my potential br=
evity if I'm typing<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; on the touch screen.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&g=
t; (PS - If you email me and don't get a quick response, you<br>&gt;&gt;&gt=
;&gt; might want to call on the phone. &nbsp;I get about 300 emails per<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; day from alternate energy mailing lists and such. &nbsp;I =
don't<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; always see new email messages very quickly.)<br>&=
gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Ron Frazier 770-205-9422 &lt;tel:770-20=
5-9422&gt; &lt;tel:770-205-9422<br>
&gt;&gt; &lt;tel:770-205-9422&gt;&gt; (O) &nbsp; Leave a<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt=
; message. linuxdude AT <a href=3D"http://techstarship.com" target=3D"_blan=
k">techstarship.com</a><br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &lt;<a href=3D"http://techstars=
hip.com" target=3D"_blank">http://techstarship.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &lt;<a href=3D"http://techstarship.com" target=3D"_blank">http://t=
echstarship.com</a>&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Litecoin: LZzAJu9rZEWzALxDhAHnW=
LRvybVAVgwTh3 Bitcoin:<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 15s3aLVsxm8EuQvT8gUDw3RWqvuY9hPG=
UU<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; ______________________________________=
_________ Ale mailing<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; list <a href=3D"mailto:Ale at ale.or=
g" target=3D"_blank">Ale at ale.org</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:Ale at ale.o=
rg" target=3D"_blank">Ale at ale.org</a>&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:Ale@=
ale.org" target=3D"_blank">Ale at ale.org</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:Ale at ale.org" target=3D"_blank">Ale at al=
e.org</a>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"http://mail.ale.org/mailma=
/a> See JOBS, ANNOUNCE<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; and SCHOOLS lists at <a href=3D"=
&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; ______________________________________=
arget=3D"_blank">Ale at ale.org</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:Ale at ale.org" =
target=3D"_blank">Ale at ale.org</a>&gt;<br>
 ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"http://mail.ale.o=
</a><br>
"_blank">Ale at ale.org</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:Ale at ale.org" target=
=3D"_blank">Ale at ale.org</a>&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"http://mail.ale.org/=
o/ale</a> See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and<br>
&gt;&gt; SCHOOLS lists at <a href=3D"http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo" =
&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Ale at ale.org" target=3D"_blank">Ale at ale.org</a> <=
//mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale</a> See JOBS,<br>&gt;&gt; ANNOUNCE and =