[ale] geeky gadget

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Fri Nov 30 17:26:21 EST 2012

Yeah, ThinkGeek has had one for a while.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e81a/?pfm=Search&t=u-socket%20usb%20wallplug

I see Home Depot has that one too, and with a square look and color options.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=203423602

You don't even have to give up a regular socket to get the two USB chargers.

You do have to be careful about how much power they'll provide. The iPad and later iPhones draw 2.1 amps. The USB 2 spec only provides for 0.5 amps. Most of the Android smartphones draw more than 0.5 amps too. The devices use some mechanism to know whether they can draw more power, though, and it seems my Apple and Motorola devices use different methods, so the adapters won't fast charge each others devices. So I'm not sure what luck you'd have with these wall sockets with your particular device.
:-(

I'd love to get one of these outlets, except (a) I'd like to know it'd work for my current devices and have a good feeling it'd work for my future devices, and (b) the outlet I'd probably put it on is a ground fault because there's no ground wire there (it's a 1906 house). One of these days I need to pull a new wire through the wall ;-)

Scott