[ale] OT Open-source energy (fuel from air)

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 15:49:50 EST 2012

On 11/28/2012 02:01 PM, Rich Faulkner wrote:
> Found this via CNN and thought I'd share:
>
> http://www.airfuelsynthesis.com/investment-opportunity/projects/1000-tonne-a-day-plant-.html
>
> The gist of it is to take carbon dioxide and react it with hydrogen
> separated from water to create methanol.  Best of all, IT WORKS!!!
>
> Will be following this with great interest!
>
> Cheers!    Rich in Lilburn

Looking at their blurb I am not convinced as a chemist the process will
be commercially viable. Electrolysis of water requires dc current
breakdown the water in hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogenation reaction
to methanol or methane appears to require both pressure and temperature;
more energy inputs; for the reaction to occur. They posit using only
solar energy which will probably limit the locations a plant can be
built - the middle of a desert for best solar efficiency.

The basic thermodynamics of the propose process will require energy
inputs in as electric current, pressure, and heat for the required
reactions to occur. They do not occur spontaneously under normal
pressures and temperature. Whether this is overall a better process I do
not know but I tend to doubt it or it would be used commercially. The
actual reactions have been know and studied for sometime with vary
degrees of enthusiasm.

Another issue is the concentration of carbon dioxide is in the
atmosphere is about 0.04% and the amount of water for comparison is
typically  1% near the surface. So they will need to concentrate the
carbon dioxide to have an efficient process; more energy.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com