[ale] way OT - used car buying tips - yea or nea - PT 2

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 12:48:48 EST 2012

I'm glad we have emmission inspection. Air quality in Atlanta is
horrid and getting worse. Bro-in-law does atmosphere studies and his
work in Atlanta was an eye-opener. The combo of particulate emissions
and SO2 from industry coupled with NOx and mixed hydrocarbons from the
horrid traffic makes for a soup of nasty to breath. Add in the
thunderstorms in the summer and we have a pump that moves many tons of
crud from ground to 20+ miles up in a matter of minutes to make an
upper atmosphere concoction that surpasses CFCs in the ability to make
a chemical mess that effects plant growth, rainfall, etc (i.e. this is
a larger part of the anthropogenic global warming engine that
previously thought). Once that soup hits high UV source, all sorts of
chemistry takes place and none of it is long-term conducive of human
life.

Break out your chemistry books:-)  Bro-in-law is first author.

 http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v488/n7410/full/nature11278.html