[ale] xkcd on NPR

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Wed Nov 21 11:57:25 EST 2012

So I guess we now know where The Plans (to what just might be
The Most Awesome Machine Mankind Ever Built) wound up?  :)

Ok, for completeness I guess, here's NPR's article/blog URL:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/11/19/165469300/why-not-say-it-simply-how-about-very-simply

(Trying to remember, my info may be very incorrect - bet
someone here knows The Facts. :)  Seems I read sometime back
(comp.dcom.telecom?) that the computer "ring" was built by IBM,
cost around $14 *million* and took something like 4 feet of
vehicle cross-section & weighed a few TONS (!?!) and had roughly
the computational power of a modern-day cheap wristwatch.

For our youngsters around here who might not know, it's my
understanding that the plans to the Saturn V booster have
long disappeared.  :(  Folks I was in school with long ago
(who lived around Huntsville) told me they could hear & *feel*
it when the manufacturer tested just ONE of its engines -
it would shake & thunder most of north Alabama.  Yup "lots of
fire comes out of here..."  And lots of kilo-Newtons.

Essay well worth reading:  "Camelot on the Moon"
(Google it - I'm sure it'll show up somewhere.)

Sorry to blather...

-kc