[ale] Way OT - the death of Twinkies

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 11:35:28 EST 2012

On 11/20/2012 03:27 PM, Sparr wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Lightner, Jeff <JLightner at water.com> wrote:
>> Interestingly their main union had actually signed a contract and it was a lesser union that went on strike.   A co-worker of mine said that he had heard or read that other union did it because they decided they'd make more money on unemployment than with the new contract with all the concessions it had.
> Obvious fix for this would be to not give unemployment to them in this
> situation. How is "strike until the company collapses" any different
> from "quit voluntarily" in terms of unemployment eligibility?

The striking employees have zero decision ability as to the continuation
of the business. Only management can make that decision. The strikers
want XYZ and the managers decide to fire them all by shutting down the
business. The striking employees did not choose to become unemployed,
they chose to strike. Their unemployment benefit is based on their last
90 days pay average. If they were striking for 89 of them, they are
totally screwed. I'm not clear if strike pay counts towards the
employment pay used to calculate unemployment rate. I do know that
strike pay is (typically far) less than regular working pay (but better
than unemployment).

No matter it's looked at, it's bad for far more people than benefit from
this.