[ale] Time jumping forward on RHEL6.3

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Nov 20 14:47:40 EST 2012

On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 19:03 +0000, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> I specifically mentioned ntp in my post.   The issue occurred WITH ntp
> running last week and yesterday and apparently it was the issue
> occurring yesterday that caused ntp to abort because the time
> difference was too great which as I noted is likely the effect of
> having added the -x option (that is it didn't abort last week when I
> saw the time off).

> Since the time has continued to move ahead with ntp not running I
> don't believe this is an ntp issue.

If the jump happened yesterday (around 4 ish EST) it very definitely WAS
an ntp issue.  A server was rebooted at the Naval Observatory and,
somehow, reverted to the year 2000.  That spread through
tick.usno.navy.mil and tock.usno.navy.mil.  NANOG has reports of network
problems with ntp servers falling over and failing as well as problems
with Windows Active Directory failures.

Some vague details here:

https://isc.sans.edu/diary/Behind+the+Random+NTP+Bizarreness+of
+Incorrect+Year+Being+Set/14548