[ale] Time jumping forward on RHEL6.3

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:34:46 EST 2012

Very strange. None of the rhel 6.3's I have are showing this at all.
Then again, they are all VMs so things are quite different.

I have not seen it on any of the Centos 6.3 physical systems either.
Keep us posted.

Take a B meson counter and turn it on. You may be having an issue with
time reversal asymmetries :-)

http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/11/particle-physicists-confirm-arrow-of-time-for-b-mesons.html

On 11/20/2012 11:26 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:

> Last week I noticed the time on two new servers we installed with
> RHEL6.3 had jumped forward even though we had ntpd running and use
> local time sources here.  I reconfigured ntp then with RedHat's GUI
> for same then verified the hwclock was updated (and not using UTC)
> then for good measure rebooted both to make sure the system time was
> still correct.
>
> Yesterday morning I had set myself a reminder to re-verify and time
> was still OK on both servers. I again rebooted to verify the system
> time was set properly on boot.
>
> We were installing new software and it suggested adding the "-x"
> option to ntpd which we did and restarted ntpd.   I again verified
> time was still ok after that.
>
> Last night I noticed that at some point the time had again leapt
> forward as it had last week.   This was by about 9 hours and 14
> minutes.   It appears ntpd aborted (presumably due to the --x option
> that prevents skewing) due to large gap in time (720000).
>
> This morning both servers are ahead by about 20 hours on system time
> even though ntpd has not been running since yesterday's abort.
>
> I've looked through all cron and anacron files and can't find anything
> that would be setting time automatically.
>
> A ticket has been opened with RedHat support but I'm wondering if
> anyone has seen something like this and has any ideas what might be
> causing it or how to prevent it.  We'll be running cluster software on
> these two nodes so having time synchronizes is especially important.
>
> We do run many other RHEL (4, 5 & 6) servers as well as HP-UX and
> Windows servers and workstations all using our internal time devices
> as the NTP time source so I'm mystified as to why these two servers
> have the issue.
>
> Athena®, Created for the Cause^(TM)
>
> Making a Difference in the Fight Against Breast Cancer
>
> *How and Why I Should Support Bottled Water!
> *Do not relinquish your right to choose bottled water as a healthy
> alternative to beverages that contain sugar, calories, etc. Your
> support of bottled water will make a difference! Your signatures
> count! Go to
> http://www.bottledwatermatters.org/luv-bottledwater-iframe/dswaters
> and sign a petition to support your right to always choose bottled
> water. Help fight federal and state issues, such as bottle deposits
> (or taxes) and organizations that want to ban the sale of bottled
> water. Support community curbside recycling programs. Support bottled
> water as a healthy way to maintain proper hydration. Our goal is
> 50,000 signatures. Share this petition with your friends and family today!

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or
> confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended
> recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
> copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is
> [...]

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

http://electjimkinney.org
http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/