[ale] Where to order the Raspberry Pi?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Nov 10 11:25:14 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-11-10 at 10:20 -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> Good morning,

> Any suggestions on where to order the Raspberry Pi?
> Any suggested additional items?

Newark Electronics / Element-14 is probably your best bet, since they're
an (the) official distributor.

Looks like they are currently out of stock.

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=43W5302

It's the way it's been going.  They get a batch in and get sold out in a
heart beat.  You can put in for advance ordering notice.  Just click the
"Contact me when it stock" and they'll let you know and you can call in
an order.  I did that and put two on order.  I'm expecting my two in
just over a week now.

You can also order some up on Amazon.com but it looks like you end up
paying a premium.

Newark also has a number of accessories for the Pi...

http://www.newark.com/jsp/bespoke/bespoke7.jsp?bespokepage=newark/en_US/landing/raspberry-pi/rasp-pi-accessories.jsp&ICID=HP-Raspberrypi-Accessories

If you want an alamode board (Arduino daughter board for the Raspberry
Pi) you'll need to order that from a different outfit.  I've got one of
those on the way as well.  With that, you can use a number of Arduino
shield boards, like relay and servo boards, with the RP.