[ale] OT sort of: youtube search results in Linux

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Tue Nov 6 23:37:43 EST 2012

https://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=54041 describes
the information Google uses to personalize search results for users, and it
varies based on whether they are signed in or not.  You can use
https://www.google.com/history/optout to opt out of any personalized search
information.

[Disclosure: I work for Google, so if you believe Google is evil, you'll
probably assume I'm feeding you the party line.  That being said, I am not
speaking on behalf of Google in any official capacity, any opinions
presented are my own, etc.]

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM, arxaaron <arxaaron at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd expect that most of these inconsistencies just came from
> bumping into the thin soapy film of your filter bubbles.
>
> It is my understanding that the automatic "customizing" filters
> on search engines and such identify us by our system
> finger prints, which include metrics on a number of factors
> like OS, browser version, source IP, etc., etc.  Switching to
> a machine with a different OS / Browser would put you in
> a different bubble, probably a slightly larger one if you don't
> use that OS / browser combo often.
>
> It's scary to think how this marketroid customer targeting
> is sealing all of us into our own lonely, exclusionary cells...
>
> <http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_**pariser_beware_online_filter_**
> bubbles.html<http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_beware_online_filter_bubbles.html>
> >

> in peace
> aaron
>

> On 2012/11/06, at 11:33 , Damon Chesser wrote:
>
>  OK, so there is a bit of irony here for you, I will let you find it:
>>
>> In-law posted a vid of "stupid Romney supporters" who were interviewed.
>> Now we all know there are stupid "insert name" supporters for
>> everybody.  So I went to youtube and searched for "stupid Obama
>> supporters" with the intent of posting back a good nature retort.
>>
>> Not one of the "stupid Obama supporters" videos worked.
>>
>> All of the "stupid Romney supporters" videos, that I searched for to
>> troubleshoot, worked.
>>
>> This bothered me greatly.  Youtube is not the government, they can
>> censor anything they like, but it bothered me.
>>
>> I booted into windows and now the "Stupid Obama supporters" videos all
>> worked!  Phew no censors.
>>
>> No explanation. No moralizing,  and I am sure you can see irony.
>>
>> On a separate issue, I searched for Mossberg ar15 in Google and only
>> found parts to buy, search for it in bing (shudder) and I get links to
>> business selling Mossberg ar15s.  Not sure what is going on there yet.
>>
>> Discus.
>>
>> --
>> Damon L. Chesser
>> damon at damtek.com