[ale] DRAT! - Ubuntu 11.04 end of life

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Nov 2 23:43:58 EDT 2012

Hi all,

FYI.  Ubuntu 11.04 has reached end of life and is no longer supported.
I guess I have to upgrade now.  Yuck.  See the note below copied from
Ubuntu's website.  Ubuntu 12.04 is an LTS (long term support) release
and its end of life is April 2017.

So.  Question.  Can I run Cinnamon or Mate as a UI instead of Unity on
12.04 (if I do upgrade)?  If so, what do I have to do once I upgrade to
12.04 to make that happen?

Sincerely,

Ron

--------------------

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2012-October/000165.html

Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) end-of-life reached on October 28, 2012
Kate Stewart kate.stewart at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 28 16:24:47 UTC 2012

This note is just to confirm that the support period for Ubuntu 11.04
(Natty Narwhal) formally ends on October 28, 2012 and Ubuntu Security
Notices no longer includes information or updated packages for
Ubuntu 11.04.

The supported upgrade path from Ubuntu 11.04 is via Ubuntu 11.10
(Oneiric Ocelot).  Instructions and caveats for the upgrade may be
found at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OneiricUpgrades.  Note
that upgrades to version 11.10 and beyond are only supported in
multiple steps, via an upgrade first to 11.10, then to 12.04.
Both Ubuntu 11.10 and Ubuntu 12.04 continue to be actively
supported with security updates and select high-impact bug fixes.
All announcements of official security updates for Ubuntu releases
are sent to the ubuntu-security-announce mailing list, information
about which may be found at:

Since its launch in October 2004 Ubuntu has become one of the most
highly regarded Linux distributions with millions of users in homes,
schools, businesses and governments around the world. Ubuntu is Open
Source software, costs nothing to download, and users are free to
customize or alter their software in order to meet their needs.

on behalf of the Release Team,
Kate Stewart

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)