[ale] OT Routing Breakdown.

Brian Stanaland brian at stanaland.org
Fri Nov 2 17:41:14 EDT 2012

Keep in mind that the route might be different each way. Client to web
server isn't always the same path as web server to client.

--Brian

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM, mike at trausch.us <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> On 11/02/2012 05:24 PM, Bob Kruger wrote:
>
>> I am sorry if this is OT, but I am hoping that someone in the ALE has
>> experience in solving the following problem.
>>
>> I maitain a site that is run right outside of Boston.  About 600 people
>> access the site from around the world.  Starting Saturday past, the site
>> became unreachable to over 200 users both in the United States and
>> worldwide.  The problem was most prevalent with AT&T subscribers, but
>> that may be due to the sheer number of people who use AT&T.  At first
>> the hosting service told me that AT&T was blocking the site. However,
>> conversations with AT&T level two tech support confirmed that it was not
>> blocked by them.  There had been some reports of SPAM, but that was
>> traced down to the emails that can be sent out when a user forgets their
>> password.  Some systems reject emails from "Webmaster".
>>
>> There seems to be a routing breakdown somewhere,  A user in California
>> did a traceroute to the system, and was able to take a snapshot of where
>> the routing broke down.  Neither AT&T nor the hosting service state that
>> this is their responsibility to pursue.
>>
>> So, how does one go about fixing a routing problem?
>>

> That depends on where the routing problem was found.
>
> Your best bet would be to get multiple traceroutes that show the failure.
>  Then you can (hopefully) see that there is a single point that is in
> common between all the traceroutes.  At that point, you need to contact
> whoever is the operator of the final system before the break (since you
> have no way to know what system comes after the break...) and work with
> them to let them know that they are having an issue with one of their
> network links.
>
> That is, of course, easier said than done.  My bet is that you're going to
> find that the road to resolution in this case is going to be a long and
> frustrating one.
>
> I've only ever had success in getting someone to fix routing problems when
> the routing problems originate (or appear to originate) from my own ISP.
>  I've not had any circumstances where I've needed to do anything else, as
> yet.
>
>         --- Mike
>
> --
> A man who reasons deliberately, manages it better after studying Logic
> than he could before, if he is sincere about it and has common sense.
>                                    --- Carveth Read, “Logic”

The fact is that the average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths
imaginary, exactly like his love of sense, justice and truth.
He is not actually happy when free; he is uncomfortable, a bit alarmed, and
intolerably lonely. Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men.
It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like
knowledge, courage and honor.
It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty —

and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies.

-- H.L. Mencken, Baltimore Evening Sun (12 February 1923)