[ale] IP management

Justin Goldberg justgold79 at gmail.com
Thu May 31 23:27:48 EDT 2012

I'm currently looking evaluating tools like racktables to better
document our customers switch ports, vlans, links, and ip addresses,
as opposed to a folder for each customer with spreadsheets, text
files, pdfs, and visios. Perhaps sharepoint would fit the bill (but
probably overkill) or some kind of network fileshare to web proxy
(like citrix has) would be better since we have a lot of documents in
folders.

I'll probably use one of the web-based tools so edits can be delegated
to anyone, anywhere. Does racktables or rackmonkey support multiple
users with granular view/modify rights?

Visio is pretty but takes too long. Google Drawings is quicker but is
still too slow for me. I dont want a thousand different shapes, just
one, with keyboard shortcuts to drop that shape and another to drop
connecting lines!

For IP address management, Solarwinds IP address manager gets a lot of
hype, but haven't used it myself.