[ale] mono development

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat May 26 00:49:03 EDT 2012

Yes, you can.

The simple answer: you should be able to develop an application with Mono
and have it work on Windows, as long as you ensure that you (a) don't use
any Mono extensions and (b) if you use any libraries shipped with Mono that
don't exist on .NET by default that you simply ship a copy of the library.

The inverse isn't true, though. While Mono implements a very large
percentage of the .NET framework, it doesn't implement 100%. If you develop
on Windows and want Mono deployability, use the MoMA tool (available on the
Mono Web site) to identify things which are unimplemented and use
alternatives.

As with anything else, there are also bound to be implementation
differences. Use unit tests to ensure that everything works as intended in
all required environments. It is better than competing JVM implementations,
IME.

HTH.

  - Mike