[ale] finding ubuntu mirrors

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Thu May 24 11:30:16 EDT 2012

On 05/24/2012 11:15 AM, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Jay Lozier <jslozier at gmail.com
> <mailto:jslozier at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     One question always puzzled me, why would a computer manufacturer IBM
>     not realize that any computer will need an OS and either write,
>     buy, or
>     license one from the start? Many of the OS problems of Windows can be
>     traced to backwards compatibility issues with DOS. While MS
>     catches all
>     the blame IMHO IBM deserves a large percentage because of their
>     incompetence and arrogance.
>

> I recommend reading "The Innovator's Dilemma"
> (http://www.amazon.com/The-Innovators-Dilemma-Revolutionary-Essentials/dp/0060521996)
> by Christensen to understand this.  The short answer is that IBM's
> entire business interests ran against supporting the personal computer
> market.  When a new product type (with a different customer base) like
> this enters the market, it is rare that the incumbents can adjust.
> Digital never did and they are gone.
Very true, many early PC/Apple/etc users hated the centralized control
of mainframes and wanted control without dependence on the mainframe.
The PC gave users more control and independence from the mainframe.
Also, many SMB could afford a PC but not a mini or mainframe.

I remember a quote from Ken Olsen stating he could not see why anyone
needed a computer at home.

> Actually, I think IBM deserves some kudos for coming in to the market,
> and actually dominating it for a while.  They are now out of the
> desktop business, but they stuck around long enough to have adjusted
> to the new computing world well enough to be wildly successful,
> again.  But it was a near thing.  I remember when it looked like IBM
> was dying, just before Palmisano committed the company to using and
> supporting Linux.  He basically bet the company on Linux, and won.
It seemed in the late 80's early 90's like IBM had a split personality:
mainframe vs PC. Both seemed to be warring against each other not the
competition.

> Michael

Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com