[ale] help providing stable power to pc's to ride through storms

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 22 21:58:43 EDT 2012

Lightning hit a tree in my yard about 6 feet from where I was standing on
the other side of a block and brick wall. The electric field was so large
it light up a pair of shrink-wrapped 4' lights and melted the plastic to
the bulbs. It induced a large enough spike in the network lines that all
NICs and switches died instantly. None of the surge protectors were hit.
Over the next 2 weeks every system failed that was plugged in at all.
Motherboards, CPUs, RAM, power supplies, drives, tape devices, all add-on
cards. I had to replace all the systems and start from scratch. The backups
were crapped except for the boxed, archived ones from months back. The tape
drives were toasted so recovery was crapped.

The only bright side to this mayhem was the customer system that was brand
new and still on the bench being assembled had no wires attached and was
not impacted at all. Having to replace all the other systems PLUS a $6k
custom server would have been a total nightmare.

I like the torriodial iron inductor idea. Big honkin' choke coil!

My uncle was a HAM (KIP for those who knew him). His antenna feed included
about 10 loops of super fine wire (32 gauge or so)  in a coil about 2' in
diameter. Signal was great and it acted as a giant fusible link.

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
*