[ale] DeKalb County School Board candidacy announcement

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 22 17:58:14 EDT 2012

It is with no small degree of impending community and personal
responsibility that these words are written. As I have been involved with
the lives of many people over the more than 2 decades living in DeKalb
County, involved with the upbringing of my own children, involved with
education both of myself, my wife and my children and the children of
others, I know solidly that there is little else we do as adults that has
more importance than to prepare the next generation for the world they will
inherit from us. To this end I have worked with the graduates of DeKalb
County School System at Georgia State University, Emory University and
Georgia Perimeter College  as an instructor of physics and astronomy. I
have seen first hand many of the strengths and weaknesses of our county
school system both in the students I have taught, my own children, their
friends and the children of friends as well as in my interactions with
school officials and teachers over the past 20 years. I have weathered the
divisiveness of power during a fight for school control that resulted in
forced faculty changes and parents pulling their children from the school
to avoid recriminations from the teachers that won. I have been compelled
to act on behalf of faculty, students and staff when central office
processes had totally failed and health and safety issues were putting all
school members at risk.

As I discussed my views and convictions surrounding the DeKalb County
School System with my family and friends, I discovered a community of
supporters encouraging my greater involvement. As my resolve steeled with
the rising awareness of the work ahead, the circle of supporters widened.
Speaking briefly of intentions with parents, community people and teachers
within the school system has provided the final conviction that the level
of effort is recognized by more than just a few and I am not alone in
willingness to work towards the betterment of DeKalb County School System
for the benefit of all.

To this end, I announce my candidacy for the DeKalb County Board of
Education District 4 for the General Election on November 6, 2012

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
*