[ale] help providing stable power to pc's to ride through storms

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Mon May 21 21:49:16 EDT 2012

On Mon, 21 May 2012, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I need some electrical power advice. It's possible you will give me the
> answer and I won't be able to afford it, but I'd like to know what you
> think.

Your power bill probably reflects your need to have everything running all
the time. But that's another issue.

Buy a real UPS. Not a home or prosumer APC, but a real one.
I think the trip-lite online ones are a great value.

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/product-series.cfm?txtSeriesID=937

These and many others should be easy to monitor via SNMP,
and shut down nicely as they hit low battery capacity.

Two examples of SNMP monitoring a UPS in a minimal fashion:

http://www.geeklabs.com/index.php?mode=articles&submode=comments&uniq=26
http://www.geeklabs.com/index.php?mode=articles&submode=comments&uniq=17