[ale] Good Linux-friendly laptop

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon May 21 20:05:32 EDT 2012

Hi Bob,

I have the following all dual booting with Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows with no problem:

Asus K52F, dual core 2.1 GHz cpu, 3 gb ram upgraded to 8 gb, 500 gb hybrid hdd, built in wifi, dvd writer (I think. I know it reads dvd's.), 15" screen, about 1 year old, floor model at Best Buy was $ 300. Only complaint is the chicklet keyboard. That would apply to all keyboards with very limited travel limited contour keys.

Dell Inspiron 1525, dual core 1.7 GHz cpu, probably 2 gb ram originally, upgraded to 4 gb, upgraded to 500 gb hybrid hdd, built in wifi, dvd reader, cd writer. The lid hinges eventually broke. It's now relegated to desktop duty. It's about 3 - 5 years old.

Toshiba Satellite 2455, single core 2.4 ghz cpu, probably 512 mb ram originally, upgraded to 1 gb, upgraded to 320 gb hdd, cd writer, external usb wifi. Lid hinges also broke. It's also relegated to desktop duty. It's about 10 years old.

On the Asus, I had a problem with Ubuntu 10.04 misinterpreting the touchpad as a mouse. This eliminates functions like drag to scroll, etc. That was fixed when I installed 11.04. If you want to run Ubuntu 11.10 and later, with Unity, make sure the GPU is up to snuff.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern. My email address has changed. Replying to former
address. Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

call on the phone. I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
mailing lists and such. I don't always see new email messages very quickly.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O) Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com

Bob Toxen <transam at verysecurelinux.com> wrote:

What is a good Linux-friendly Laptop these days in the $300-940 range
available locally?

I want something good; for me that means no HP (IMO).

Want DVD burner, a fair amount of memory and reasonable speed.

I need USB ports, WiFi would be nice but I have a Linux-compatibile WiFi
PCMCIA card.

I'm looking to buy at MicroCenter tonight (big hurry, long story).

Thanks,
Bob
See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo