[ale] Good Linux-friendly laptop

Shawn taaj.shawn at gmail.com
Mon May 21 16:21:28 EDT 2012

Hi,

I know you want local and need it tonight so my suggestion would be to grab
a lenovo T61 for now.. looks like MC has em for 240$.. this thing is not a
power house but its a great linux laptop.
While you are using the T61 I would order this setup from system76.. I
received this setup about a month ago and love it.
i7, 8GB & SSD for about 1k. You may not need all the specs I have but
either way its a great value.

Order Summary:
Pangolin Performance ( panp9 )
Quantity: 1
Price Per Item: $1,038.00
$1,038.00

Base System Price
$699.00
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit
5 Free GB of Ubuntu One Online Storage and Sync
15.6" 720p High Definition LED Backlit Display ( 1366 x 768 )
Intel High Definition Graphics
3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor ( 2.30GHz 6MB L3 Cache - 4
Cores plus Hyperthreading )
+$115.00
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
+$45.00
120 GB Intel 520 Series SATA III 6 Gb/s Solid State Disk Drive
+$179.00
8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive
Intel Centrino 1030 - 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
No Bag
1 Yr. Ltd. Warranty and 1 Yr. Technical Support
No Canada Warranty Shipping Coverage
No donation, thank you
Shipping & Handling
UPS Ground
$0.00
Order Total:
$1,038.00

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Bob Toxen <transam at verysecurelinux.com>wrote:

> What is a good Linux-friendly Laptop these days in the $300-940 range
> available locally?
>
> I want something good; for me that means no HP (IMO).
>
> Want DVD burner, a fair amount of memory and reasonable speed.
>
> I need USB ports, WiFi would be nice but I have a Linux-compatibile WiFi
> PCMCIA card.
>
> I'm looking to buy at MicroCenter tonight (big hurry, long story).
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

*- Shawn Taaj*