[ale] Ubuntu dropping support for older CPU's, non PAE machines

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Fri May 18 14:41:37 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 17, 2012 4:12 PM, "James
> > Ubuntu has always seemed like MS in a Penguin suit to me.
> > Just sayin'...
>
> HA! That may explain the fanboy adoption schedule.
>
> > -jt
> >

> > James Taylor
> > 678-697-9420
> > james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

> > On Thu, 17 May 2012, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > FYI, here's some more data I found while researching the possibilities
> of upgrading my pc's to Ubuntu 12.04.
> > >
> > > In 12.04, there is no longer default support for 32 bit machines
> without
> > > PAE (Physical Address Extension) capability. Which means you have to
> >
> > Without any scientific data:
> >
> >    I have noticed that my big Sony laptop is drawing considerably more
> >    juice and CPU power on 12.04. My travel power brick (90w) has shut
> down
> >    due to overheating several times. It's never done that before.
> >    The OEM brick is 150watts, and that works ok.
> >
> >    My point is: 12.04 is -not- for underpowered machnes. I also put in on
> >    a couple of P4's with 2gb of ram to repurpose and give away.
> >    It worked ok, but was not snappy.
> >
> >    Perhaps you should not be putting it on 32 bit low
> >    powered minimal ram systems.
> >
> >        --Mike--

I am using Ubuntu_Studio with XFCE desktop on my old laptop, which has a
32-bit board and 64-bit processors.  I don't understand it but that is what
lshw says it has, and it won't load a 64-bit OS.  It does have PAE, so I am
not complaining.
I am close to using Debian everywhere, since almost all my server-garden is
Debian monoculture.  When I get the next laptop, it will probably be
Debian, or Linux Mint Debian.

-Wolf

Open-Source Software in Libraries - http://FOSS4Lib.org
Apache Open Office Developer wolfhalton at apache.org