[ale] Ubuntu dropping support for older CPU's, non PAE machines

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu May 17 13:01:42 EDT 2012

Hi all,

FYI, here's some more data I found while researching the possibilities of upgrading my pc's to Ubuntu 12.04.

In 12.04, there is no longer default support for 32 bit machines without PAE (Physical Address Extension) capability. Which means you have to jump through some hoops to install on older machines. In 12.10, there will be no non PAE support at all, which means you can't run on those older machines.

Here's a Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

I'm pretty sure this means pre Intel Pentium II, pre Intel Pentium M 400 MHz, and pre AMD Athlon chips will have problems with 12.04 and 12.10 and later. I think all the cpu's in my current computers that I'm using will pass this test. I think my "Nelly" machine that I mentioned in another thread has a Pentium 4 chip. My other cpu's are 64 bit, so this doesn't apply to them. I have an old IBM Thinkpad from 1998 which I retired a couple of years ago that probably won't work. Of course, it only has 168 MB of ram, which would be another problem.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern. My email address has changed. Replying to former
address. Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

call on the phone. I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
mailing lists and such. I don't always see new email messages very quickly.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O) Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com