[ale] [Semi-OT] Cygwin Question

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Thu May 17 12:07:46 EDT 2012

Dunno if any of you use Cygwin on WinXX but I'm having a problem with
the current version (1.7.15-1
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2012-05/msg00019.html>) that I
haven't seen before.

Even though I see C:/cygwin as the value of the "rootdir" registry key,
in the Cygwin terminal window 'echo $ROOT' gives me nothing, 'cd ~'
takes me to C:\, I have no prompt, nothing other than what Windows seems
to be setting in PATH, and I have no functional command history.  In
C:\cygwin\etc\passwd, "/home/<username>" is my home directory setting as
Cygwin is supposed to interpret it, but in the Cygwin window, 'echo
$HOME' gives me C:\Documents and Settings\<username>, which makes a
certain sense but isn't what I want.  Any idea why ROOT isn't getting
set at Cygwin terminal launch time?