[ale] Mac's version of BSD

Ted W ted at techmachine.net
Wed May 16 14:06:31 EDT 2012

On May 13, 2012, at 3:58 PM, Drifter wrote:
> I am essentially clueless about the underpinnings of a Mac.
> But, given the recent discussions on failing hard drives, I couldn't help
> but remember my wife's recent PAIN -- the HD in her Mac laptop died and
> that's when she discovered that her backup drive had died a week or so
> earlier.  (She hadn't understood the error messages she was getting.)
> Two new hard drives later she is trying to recover what she can.
>
> So this afternoon I checked and the command <smartctl> is not on her
> machine.  Is it available?  If so, what is the download/install procedure?
>
> Sean

You can probably find it in Macports, Homebrew or Gentoo prefix. I used Homebrew for a while and didn't care for how the permissions were structured (your user gets full rights to /usr/bin). I switched to Gentoo prefix and, while it's more involved to setup I've found it to be a great addition to my Macbook Air. I just searched within emerge as well and found that it has the package "smartmontools" available, might be worth looking in to.
--
Ted W. < Ted at Techmachine.net >
Registered GNU/Linux user #413569