[ale] VM load average stays around 4.5 and jumps as high as 8 or 9

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Mon May 14 10:08:18 EDT 2012

CentOS 5 uses a default timer interrupt frequency of 1000Hz.  This
puts a bit of a load on the host system, and can be changed to 100Hz
with no issues.

To change this value, update the kernel line in /etc/grub.conf with
the parameter "divider=10", like this:
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-274.3.1.el5 ro root=/dev/sda1 divider=10
and reboot.  You will probably notice your host to be a bit more
responsive, and if you're on a laptop your battery life should improve
when running the VM.

VMware has an article about this if you want more information:
   http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1005802

❧ Brian Mathis