[ale] OT: ruby/redmine/apache

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed May 9 06:07:37 EDT 2012

On 05/08/2012 08:48 PM, JD wrote:

> BTW, using RVM is a great idea. NEVER use the OS perl, python, php or ruby
> installs for non-OS purposes. That just beings dependency problems at every
> upgrade, unless you can use the package system for the apps (redmine) too.

I will disagree with this from an enterprise perspective. If you use the
OS version then you are letting the OS team maintain security
vulnerability remediations. If your application can't handle an upgrade
you probably need to find a better application.

The other side of that is if you are happy to spend your time
recompiling and distributing your application every time software you
depend on comes out. For Java that would be about 4-6 times a year. Not
as often for the others.

It really depends on where you want to spend your time.

Leam