[ale] Fwd: Jim - cannot post this message to ALE, please post for me

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Tue May 8 08:06:12 EDT 2012

The passport card is only valid for DRIVING into the U.S.

If you fly in (even from Canada or Mexico) you have to have your passport to get back in.  This is also true for flying in from Bahamas, Bermuda and anywhere in the Caribbean.   Those countries might still let you in without a passport but coming back would be a whole other story.

The funny thing is I don't really remember whether I had my laptop with me 2 years ago when I drove to Canada.  I think I did and if so I didn't get stopped but again my thoughts on the likelihood has changed since I saw the story a year or so ago.   I do remember the previous time I drove into Canada they were mainly concerned with whether I had any guns or knives.

So the question comes did the TSA give a reason for seizing your devices?  What did they say when they returned them?  How long did they keep them?