[ale] LINUX IDE that supports perl and C

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Mon May 7 21:11:50 EDT 2012

Yes, combine emacs's compilation mode with GNU make and you have an IDE
that you can't outgrow and that will handle whatever you want to use next
after perl and C.

vi and xterms (or screen windows or whatever) is great too, partially
precisely because it is not integrated.  The danger of an IDE is that you
can wind up learning all the IDE-specific stuff that has no general
relevance without necessarily ever understanding what's really going on.
By tying your skills to an IDE you're making your strengths more
delicate---what happens if you want to work in an environment that just has
vi and make?  When you use vi and make all the time you know what you're
doing by necessity, because you have to arrange for every step that occurs
when you create the software, and you do not introduce extraneous
dependencies on tools that aren't ubiquitous.

  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/
  http://www.coraid.com/