[ale] CLI conversion of word DOCs to PDF

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon May 7 16:26:12 EDT 2012

There's some cli stuff for openoffice/libreoffice, i.e. it has a headless
version. I have not used it. At a prior location, openoffice files were
unzipped and stored as XML in a SNV repo. So a doc check-in was a script to
unzip, push to svn followed by a pull and overwrite.

If you have much docs to publish it might be better to look at a document
processing system. I've used Docbook formatting and Publican to generate
HTML/PDF output. This allows for SVN or GIT for archival/check-in ability
with a build process that's separated from the content.

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>wrote:

> I'm looking at storing many different DOCs in SVN.  I want to release as
> PDF.  Anyone used a program that would work in Linux, and possibly
> Windows, on the CLI to convert documents to PDF?
>
> My idea is to create a Makefile and when we create a documentation
> release I'll just allow make to do the work of conversion and ISO creation.
>
> Chris

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/