[ale] Fwd: Jim - cannot post this message to ALE, please post for me

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon May 7 15:10:38 EDT 2012

On 05/07/2012 02:57 PM, Rich Faulkner wrote:
> I travel a fair amount and have since 9/11...had tools confiscated by
> TSA (in December 2001) but have had no issues since.  Go through
> security with lots of h/w (USB-HDD, media, laptops, you name it) w/o
> issue.  Canada/US border does require valid passport card or
> passport.  The passport card is good for travel on this
> continent...otherwise you need a full-blown passport to go overseas.
> (Don't know about Bahamas or points South regarding passport cards).
> Before 9/11 you could go to Nassau w/o a passport and on just a valid
> DL.  But now.....

I travel out of the country 4 or 5 times a year.  Most of the time, the
airline asks for your passport before they will let you on a plane.  I
know of nowhere from which you can get back into the US without a
passport or equivalent.  I've not seen anyone at TSA or Customs that has
paid any attention to laptops on any of my trips.  I've also heard about
the confiscations but it's not widespread from my experience.  I travel
about half the time with a netbook or laptop.

Jim.