[ale] semi ot GOT ODB II Android working here's how - was anyone using obd ii automotive diagnostics

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Wed May 2 08:36:59 EDT 2012

I would not single out the warning on driving solely to Torque and ODB
readers.

Our 2004 Toyota Prius has a central console display which shows the
state of the Hybrid drive system, along with AC and radio controls.

Early on, we nearly had some accidents resulting from a fixation on that
display, and showing it to passengers.

In the truck, I use a ScanguageII because it gives me quick view of 4
values I choose without having a display to fiddle with.

Pulling the check engine fault codes is only modestly useful, as they
only indicate a general direction, not an exact diagnosis.   It is
helpful on a trip to know if I'm dealing with the EGR emission system,
or a temperature sensor.     Also being able to clear codes on the fly
and see if they recur is handy.   But ultimately, the vehicle is going
to continue to run pretty much the same way - I don't know as being able
to clear the code would get you out of a "limp-home" mode if the ECM has
decided that is in order.

Manufacturers know that every fool in the world has access to an ODB
reader, and seem to have limited the damage that can be done
appropriately.   (not implying you are a fool.)

Neal Rhodes